Title: Staff consultant or Senior consultant
Supporter: Karen Weissinger and New Hire
Compensation: Staff consultant - $95,000; Senior consultant - $110,000
Primary location: Remote (Texas preferred)
Travel: 15-30% depending on client needs and internal events.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Number of Openings: Multiple
Founded in 2017, MAYA Consulting’s purpose is to support equity and excellence in community, so we all live a good life. We are a team of consultants who support school districts, non-profit organizations, institutes of higher education, state education agencies, and foundations to increase their impact. Our goal is for organizations to reimagine how to use their community’s assets to improve results and to close gaps that exist along lines of difference.
MAYA is committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. MAYA is an an equal opportunity employer and prospective team members will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity or expression, age, veteran or disability status, or length of time spent unemployeed. MAYA encourages candidates to apply even if they do not meet all the qualifications outlined in this job description.
About the Posting
MAYA is experiencing a period of growth! As a team, we are excited to add to our collective of consultants and are open to varying levels of experience and qualifications. We are open to candidates who may be a better fit for a staff consultant or a senior consultant position. Candidates can select which role they are applying for in the applications. Prior to the second interview or before, the hiring manager will confirm which role you are being considered for.
The staff or senior consultant is responsible for managing a portfolio of complex projects focused on strategic planning and technical assistance for small-to-large Texas school districts. Duties may include: facilitating meetings, conducting research, communicating with stakeholders and clients, providing strategic guidance, problem-solving for clients, completing deliverables, tracking progress towards client and/or grant goals, designing and supporting effective project plans, and evaluating project success and satisfaction of the client.
The staff or senior consultant is expected to be a self-starter and comfortable interacting with senior and executive leadership within school districts.
Senior and Staff consultant Goals
- Senior consultants - Lead Projects: Senior consultants primarily lead client engagements while supporting a smaller portfolio of other engagements. They may provide leadership support to associate or staff consultants. Senior consultants work with little supervision and are expected to determine methods and procedures for client engagements and may coordinate activities with other team members. Senior consultants are accountable for the overall success of an engagement with limited support from a principal consultant.
- Staff consultant - Lead Projects: Staff consultants primarily lead client engagements while supporting a smaller portfolio of other engagements by using a combination of individual contributions and building working relationships with clients and teammates. Staff consultants typically receive little instruction on their day-to-day work, and general instructions when receiving new assignments and projects. Staff consultants are accountable for the overall success of an engagement with some support from a staff consultant. A successful staff consultant is able to routinely work with their clients while having steady communication and works through obstacles with their supporters.
- Senior consultants - Contribute to the success of MAYA: Senior consultants demonstrate and help teammates develop a growth mindset; share lessons learned and new innovations with teammates; stay current of best practices, research, and funding opportunities; hold self and team members accountable for project success, and operate with a student-first mindset.
- Staff consultants - Demonstrate a growth mindset: Staff consultants understand that career growth and development stem from a growth mindset and incorporate that into their work.
- Senior consultant - Drive Business Development: Senior consultants are expected to build their personal brand and MAYA’s brand by seizing opportunities to be public thought leaders and share resources about their areas of expertise with team members. Senior consultants work to build a professional network that eventually leads to new business opportunities for MAYA. Finally, Senior consultants are able to lead and contribute to the proposal writing process and pitch presentations with limited support.
- Staff consultant - Contribute to business development: At MAYA, our best business development artifact is delivering exceptional results for our clients. Staff consultants contribute to business development by delivering those exceptional results. Additionally, staff consultants may work with their supporter to gain experience and build business development skills. Staff consultants contribute to proposals and pitches. And while not required, staff consultants are encouraged to lead their own business development.
Model MAYA Values: Be an example and celebrate MAYA’s beliefs embedded in MAYA’s purpose.
Leverage Relationships (Senior consultants): MAYA is often working to make connections between our clients and our network. Senior consultants are expected to build professional relationships and leverage those relationships for client engagements. For example, if a client is looking to start a relationship with a school district, the Senior consultant would help facilitate that relationship.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Senior consultant - Advanced knowledge and experience with supporting school districts or school district partners: Has worked in or supported schools or school districts to plan and implement new programs or initiatives, and/or has assisted non-profits, foundations, institutions of higher education, technical assistance providers, public charters, model providers, education consulting firms, or other community organizations to formally partner with school districts to enhance student outcomes and a child’s overall well-being at the K-12 level. Direct experience working in a school district or supporting school districts with strategic planning or advising school district executives preferred.
- Staff consultant - Wide-range of experience and emerging knowledge base with supporting school districts or school district partners: Has worked in or supported schools or school districts to plan and implement new programs or initiatives, and/or has assisted non-profits, foundations, institutions of higher education, technical assistance providers, public charters, model providers, education consulting firms, or other community organizations to formally partner with school districts to enhance student outcomes and a child’s overall well-being at the K-12 level. Direct experience working in a school district or to supporting school districts with strategic planning or advising school district executives preferred.
Experience Coordinating or Supporting Complex Projects or Grants: Has helped coordinate public or private grants, has created or contributed to project management systems, and/or has coordinated or supported projects that require collaborating with multiple stakeholders. Has wide-ranging experience and an emerging knowledge base to use professional concepts and company objectives to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways. Experience working with the Texas Education Agency’s Division of System Support and Innovation, the School Action Fund, and/or System of Great Schools preferred, but not required.
Excellent People Support: Operates with a strengths-based mindset. Enjoys listening carefully, and helping and motivating others to improve and to reach their goals. Candidates will be asked how they have supported or created a more diverse and inclusive team or community in the past.
Learning Orientation: A motivation to learn new knowledge and skills with a level of breadth and depth to help amplify impact. Understands career growth and development stems from a growth mindset and incorporates that into their work.
While not required and in an effort to expand the geographic footprint of our team, MAYA is especially interested in candidates representing the Dallas/Fort Worth and Houston areas.
Life at MAYA
At MAYA, we believe that a team member’s salary should not be based on the ability to negotiate and that compensation should be transparent. Therefore, MAYA uses a level and step system that coordinates with different salary amounts. Team members work with their supporters on goals and a path to moving higher in our MAYA career framework which yields to a higher salary. The starting base salary for a staff consultant is $95,000/year and a senior consultant is $110,000/year. Starting salaries are non-negotiable. Staff and senior consultants are eligible for business development bonuses and an annual profit sharing bonus.
MAYA works to create an environment where team members can do their best work. Our goal is to provide a market-leading benefits package. MAYA currently offers the following benefits:
- Unlimited paid time off;
- Generous holiday time (including Juneteenth, Indigenous Peoples’ Day, Election Day, one week for Fall break, and about two weeks for Winter Break);
- Twelve weeks paid parental leave after the birth, adoption, or foster placement of a new child;
- Sabbatical leave of 12 weeks after five years of service;
- Dedicated time for personal wellness;
- Health insurance with MAYA paying 80% of premiums for employees and their families;
- Dental insurance with MAYA paying 50% of premiums for employees and their families;
- Life, AD&D, and long-term disability insurance with MAYA paying 100% of premiums for employees and their families;
- 401k matching contribution up to 4%;
- One-time home office stipend for new employees to purchase office furniture;
- Monthly stipends for cell phone and home internet;
- Company credit card and expense account for employees to travel for company business, purchase coffee when collaborating with other MAYA employees, purchase books for self-guided professional development or routine office supplies;
- Opportunities for professional development funded by MAYA; and
- Bonus structure for business development and profit sharing.
Because MAYA does not have a physical office space, you can find MAYA team members working from their homes, coffee shops, or out in nature while using an internet hotspot. MAYA team members primarily collaborate through Zoom, Slack, Asana, and other online tools. On occasion, MAYA team members travel to Austin, Texas, for planning days and throughout the country for client meetings. MAYA team members also have the opportunity to voice where MAYA should make charitable contributions. In 2021, MAYA donated $125,000 to local charities.
MAYA's Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion philosophy is rooted in the belief that building truly inclusive spaces where power is shared, and where privilege is recognized and actively utilized, is the most strengths-based way to approach MAYA’s mission to achieve educational equity. We believe the path to equity requires tearing down systems of oppression and white supremacy culture. Team members often engage in conversations around recognizing our personal privilege and how we can all commit to being antiracist. We believe Black Lives Matter and have no tolerance for hate in our company.
Interested and qualified applicants should submit a resume and cover letter highlighting your experience working with school districts.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $95,000.00 - $110,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Monday to Friday
- Bonus pay
- Commission pay
- school district leadership or advising school districts: 3 years (Required)
- professional: 5 years (Required)
Work Location: Multiple Locations