Credit Acceptance is proud to be an award-winning company with local and national workplace recognition in multiple categories! Our world-class culture is shaped by dedicated Team Members who share a drive to succeed as professionals and together as a company. A great product, amazing people and our stable financial history have made us one of the largest used car finance companies nationally.
Our Support teams work with multiple departments in a dynamic environment that promotes flexibility and autonomy, while offering the opportunity to collaborate with a diverse group of professionals. We work to comply with our company standards, exceed customer expectations and drive our Great Place to Work culture. Through the consistent delivery of quality services and understanding the needs of our business, we develop innovative improvements as we strive towards our company’s Big, Hairy, Audacious Goals!
The purpose of this Legal Counsel – Manager, Employment and Human Resources position is to provide employment counseling, advise on employee benefits matters, support immigration matters, and manage employment-related litigation.
Outcomes and Activities:
- This position will work from home and also require some work onsite at an assigned office work location
- Advise the Company on compliance with federal and state laws and regulations related to employment and employee benefits
- Provide preventive counseling:
- Draft and maintain policies and procedures to ensure recruiting and workplace practices and procedures are up to date and consistent with the law and the Company’s culture and provide guidance to prevent misconduct from taking place
- Guide the Company on the application of those policies and procedures to certain scenarios
- Direct and/or conduct investigations related to potential workplace misconduct
- Work with leaders to take corrective action where necessary
- Direct and support compliance audits
- Handle matters related to the onboarding and termination of employees, such as:
- Employment-related agreements, including application of non-compete agreements and other restrictive covenants
- Asset recovery
- Advise on welfare and fringe benefit plans, including group health plans, life insurance, disability, dependent care assistance programs and HSAs
- Advise on immigration matters and coordinate with outside counsel to obtain and maintain work authorization for individuals as needed
- Manage the Company’s employment litigation portfolio, including assessing new employment related charges and complaints, developing strategy to resolve them, engaging local counsel, and managing local counsel’s work in accordance with an established budget; and provide clear, concise and accurate guidance to the Company on how to respond
- Provide support to the Human Resources Department and other Company business units as needed
- Perform legal research on assigned topics, including drafting Legal Position Papers on various topics
- Periodic performance feedback from team members up, down and across the Company will be sought and will be used to assess your performance
Knowledge and Skills:
- You need to be organized and capable of meeting all deadlines
- You need to remain positive, professional, determined, calm and focused when faced with challenging situations
- You need to be a quick thinker, with an ability to understand and interpret information promptly and effectively
- You need to be self-driven, motivated to help, and able to perform with minimal supervision in a team environment
- You need to be receptive to ongoing feedback aimed at improving the performance of you and your team
- Licensed to practice law, with a minimum of 5 years law firm preventive counseling and litigation experience:
- Litigation experience should include engaging in all aspects of written discovery, taking and defending depositions, motion practice, as well as trial or arbitration experience; and experience working directly with clients
- Experience with employment litigation and counseling businesses on employment law
- You need to have excellent legal research and writing skills
- You need to possess and express a positive and enthusiastic attitude
- You need to be able to communicate to all levels of the organization
- You need to be able to work independently and in a team environment
- Familiarity with legal research tools (i.e. Westlaw and Lexis) required
- Ability to work at an assigned office location with flexible remote work arrangements
*Targeted Compensation: * $130,000 - $170,000 base salary + an annual bonus plan
This position is not currently open to individuals who require sponsorship now or in the future to work legally for Credit Acceptance, such as H-1b / H-4 or F-1 OPT visa holders.
Our Company Values:
To be successful in this role, Team Members need to be:
- Positive by maintaining resiliency and focusing on solutions
- Respectful by collaborating and actively listening
- Insightful by cultivating innovation, accumulating business and role specific knowledge, demonstrating self-awareness and making quality decisions
- Direct by effectively communicating and conveying courage
- Earnest by taking accountability, applying feedback and effectively planning and priority setting
- Remain compliant with our policies processes and legal guidelines
- All other duties as assigned
- Attendance as required by department
We understand that your career search may look different than others. Our hiring team wants to make sure that this would be a fit not just for us, but for you long term. If you are actively looking or starting to explore new opportunities, send us your application!
We have great details around our stats, success, history and more. We’re proud of our culture and are happy to share why – let’s talk!
Required degrees must have been earned at institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent.
Credit Acceptance is dedicated to providing an inclusive environment for all. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and value a culturally diverse workforce. We believe in ensuring all team members demonstrate mutual respect for one another. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to protected characteristics like age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
California Residents: Please click here for the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) notice regarding the personal information Credit Acceptance may collect from you.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $130,000.00 - $170,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Bonus pay
Work Location: Remote