A science-first software company, nference has been called “The Google of Biomedicine” by the Washington Post. Our proprietary AI-enabled software is the only platform that addresses the end-to-end challenges associated with unlocking the potential of electronic medical records (EMRs) in a privacy-preserving manner. The exponential growth of biomedical data, driven by the adoption of EMRs, provides an unprecedented opportunity to create transformative technologies and products in healthcare. nference partners with medical centers to turn decades of rich, but predominantly unstructured, data captured in EMRs into powerful solutions that enable scientists to discover and develop the next generation of personalized diagnostics and treatments for patients worldwide. We believe that the greatest opportunity for our generation to elevate human health is by developing technology to curate and synthesize the world's biomedical data in order to enable that scientific discovery.
nference is headquartered in Kendall Square (Cambridge, MA), the world’s biotech capital, with offices in Rochester (Minnesota), Bangalore (India) and Toronto (Canada). You will work alongside a multidisciplinary team of serial entrepreneurs from the tech and biotech worlds along with highly trained, innovative and dedicated scientists/physicians (PhD in Biology/Genomics and/or MD).
nference is seeking a highly skilled and experienced Research Scientist. This position would be focused on managing the various scientific collaborations between nference, Duke and our biopharma partners. In addition, this position would have responsibilities for overseeing other scientists working on the various projects. This position requires you work closely with physicians, researchers and biopharma scientists to drive forward cutting-edge research in the development of novel insights and new models of patient care. You must be a self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced, agile environment – which requires wearing many hats, the ability to change direction quickly, and an eagerness to learn new technologies as needed.
This position will be based in our Durham, NC office. Individuals do not have to be physically located in Durham and can be remote.
- Work collaboratively with physicians and biopharma researchers to develop novel insights to address hypotheses across various disease leveraging the nference platform (nferX™)
- Aid in the management of other data science staff and the overall scientific project portfolio with our healthcare and biopharma partners.
- Draft and review collaborative project proposals that include concise project aims, deliverables and timelines.
- Actively participate in presenting or co-presenting collaborative work at conferences and authoring articles within peer reviewed journals.
- Create case studies showcasing the nferX platform’s capabilities to collaborators and clients.
- Contribute to client-facing applications for nferX
- Process public and proprietary datasets for integration into nferX
- PhD in bioinformatics, statistics, life sciences, engineering, applied math, physics
- Biology background: strongly preferred but not required
- Post degree experience preferred but not required; experience working within the healthcare industry preferred
- Coding experience
o Required: python (pandas, scikit-learn), mongo, SQL, jupyter notebooks
o Desired: R, pytorch
- High degree of critical thinking and independent problem solving
- Working knowledge of basic statistics
- Excellent understanding of disease and the relevant physiological and biological underpinnings of diseases.
- Experience working within the healthcare industry preferred
- Strong understanding of various types of healthcare information and data such as laboratory results, medications, clinical notes, images (MRI, X-ray, etc.).
- Proven track record of managing others in their day-to-day activities along with overseeing overall project goals.
- Strong ability to quickly learn and adapt to new domains discoveries within healthcare.
- Superior verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills particularly with physicians and experienced principal investigators.
o Data visualization (experience with seaborn or similar a plus)
o Comfortable delivering client presentations and internal updates
o Experience in writing manuscripts, with publishing history in peer-reviewed journals strongly preferred
- Track record of successfully managing multiple, concurrent projects
- Excellent decision making, human relations, time-management and organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
Position includes competitive sick/vacation/holiday package, equity, health, dental, life insurance, STD, LTD and 401k plan. nference will only respond via email to candidates selected for further consideration.
nference is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, gender identity, gender expression, sex/gender, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military/veteran status, citizenship status, basis of genetic information, or any other group protected by law.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: Remote