Reach Cyber Charter School
Secondary English Language Arts Teacher
Founded in 2001, Connections Education is a leading provider of high-quality, highly accountable online education solutions for schools, school districts, and students in grades K–12. It serves families and schools with a variety of digital learning and online school solutions including Connections Academy, International Connections Academy, and Pearson Connexus. Connections Education brings full-time online and blended school to 65,000 students across the U.S. and abroad, and delivers online courses to over 340,000 students. In total, over 400,000 students in the U.S. and 48 countries will receive online learning from Connections Education. Connections Education is based in Baltimore, Maryland and was named a “Top Workplace” by the Baltimore Sun for the third consecutive year and a 2013 “Best Place to Work” by Baltimore magazine. Regularly recognized for its outstanding curriculum and leadership, Connections Education is committed to expanding quality education through technology, and helping students achieve both academic and personal success. Connections Education is part of the global education company, Pearson.
Reach Cyber Charter School (Reach Cyber), a Pennsylvania Connections Academy, is a tuition-free, public cyber school serving students in grades K-12 statewide. Reach Cyber offers a variety of academic pacing options for students including a traditional school year option, a year-long school year option and an accelerated option. Reach Cyber is authorized by the Pennsylvania Department of Education and governed by an independent Board of Trustees. The school utilizes the Connections Education program. Reach Cyber Charter School is accredited by Cognia, formerly AdvancED.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Working from either our office in Harrisburg, PA, or from a home office, certified teachers will “virtually” manage instructional programs. Through use of the telephone, internet and various curriculum tools they will consult regularly with learning coaches and students to ensure that each child successfully completes his/her instructional program.
The Secondary ELA Teacher will be responsible for the successful completion of the following tasks:
- Complete all grading, create progress reports and conduct parent conferences in a timely manner;
- Support the instructional program with asynchronous web conferencing sessions and synchronous instruction;
- Review curriculum and devise alternate approaches to presenting lessons to increase student understanding (working directly with students and parents);
- Communicate with parents, students and other teachers on a regular basis to develop and update Personal Learning Plans and schedules, score assessments, provide feedback on student work, suggest instructional approaches and strategies, monitor completion of assignments and coach special projects;
- Work collaboratively with other teachers to ensure that all students are successfully progressing through the program, that parents have a central point of contact, and that tasks are distributed among the teachers;
- Develop a general knowledge of the entire program’s K-12 curriculum and a very detailed knowledge of the courses for which responsible;
- Support students and parents with alternate strategies and provide additional assistance with daily assignments and projects;
- Communicate regularly with parents, students, and curriculum specialists through use of computer and telephone;
- Keep student records and data up-to-date, including cumulative files, online student and family information, attendance accounting, and logging all student and parent contacts;
- Consult with other teachers and staff learning specialists to develop alternate enrichment activities and modifications to students’ programs to increase student understanding;
- Work with other teachers to coordinate social activities and relevant field trips for students;
- Manage regional field trips and make efforts to integrate trips into the curriculum;
- Devise and implement virtual methods of creating and maintaining a “school community”;
- Participate in the organization and administration of the State Testing, as directed;
- Participate in student recruiting sessions and other marketing efforts that require teacher representation;
- Work with Advisory Teachers and School Counselors to ensure students and families are receiving appropriate communications, students are making adequate progress and established goals are being met;
- Attend field trips and other community activities implemented for families;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must reside in the state of Pennsylvania
- Highly qualified and certified to teach Secondary English Language Arts in Pennsylvania (appropriate to grade level and content area responsibilities)
- Strong technology skills (especially with Microsoft OS and MS Office programs)
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written