Careers that Change Lives
The Senior Instructional Designer is a key member of the Digital Education team and is responsible for the development of original, interactive, and intuitive online curriculum to educate healthcare professionals on the company’s products and their relevant clinical applications – and to educate Medtronic employees on a variety of internal business topics. This position plays a key role developing digital learning content that effectively addresses diverse audience needs.
The Senior Instructional Designer works closely with internal cross-functional partners and subject matter experts (SMEs) to ensure the quality of course materials, design learning activities and assessments that support established learning outcomes, and to ensure best practices in online learning. This process includes researching, writing, and editing course materials including self-check and final assessment questions, answer keys, bibliographies, and references as well the development of the subsequent online courses utilizing this content. The position also partners closely with other members of the Digital Education team including other Instructional Designers, Program Managers, Medical Illustrators, Designers and LMS Administrators.
This role is open to Minneapolis, MN, Boulder, CO or remote within the continental United States for well qualified candidates.
A Day in the Life
- Collaborate effectively with internal cross-functional partners/SMEs to understand target audience’s learning needs and set instructional end-goals.
- Develop content to achieve educational objectives.
- Collaborate with Program Manager(s) to align with project and process management standards.
- Collaborate with other Instructional Designers to align with instructional design standards and processes.
- Collaborate with Medical Illustrators and Designers to develop effective visual content.
- Follow standards and guidelines for adherence to Corporate brand style and standards for consistent brand identity.
- Stay current on new technologies, industry trends or techniques which may affect current departmental practices.
- Make recommendations for new methods, materials, and tools to enhance the educational value of course materials and/or improve efficiency of departmental practices.
- Establish and document processes and procedures in collaboration with the team.
- Maintain files of all materials and electronic documents in active folders, archives, and digital asset management system(s).
- Manage multiple projects at different stages simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, while meeting deadlines and maintaining quality.
- Identify and communicate potential development problems or challenges as they surface and propose mitigation strategies.
- Communicate changes in priorities and direction of the goal or project to the team and project stakeholders.
- Manage and track project work in the organization’s project management system(s).
- Travel approximately 15-20%, primarily to Medtronic sites
To be considered, these minimum qualifications must be evident on your resume:
- Bachelors degree required
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in instructional design or training facilitation or advanced degree with 2 years’.
Nice to Have
- Bachelor’s degree in Instructional Design, Educational Technology, Instructional Technology preferred
- In-depth knowledge of adult learning theories and instructional design models.
- Knowledge of current and trending digital learning industry theories and practices.
- Strong conceptual thinking: ability to take raw content and create designs that support the delivery of an engaging learning experience.
- Demonstrated ability to write clear, concise explanations of complex concepts and engaging course content for a diverse audience of professionals.
- Ability to write and edit effective copy, instructional text, audio, and video scripts.
- Two or more years’ experience in writing learning assessments.
- Experience integrating instructional materials such as videos, graphics, animations, and interactive media elements into digital learning deliverables.
- Strong creative and technical problem-solving skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Highly organized, flexible, and able to collaborate across functional areas to handle multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines.
- Effective research, planning, organizational and project management skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work effectively in a team environment and with people across/at varying levels in the organization.
- Strong ability to gain acceptance for ideas from internal partners through influence.
- Flexible with a “can do” attitude and can remain professional under high pressure situations.
- Dedicated to quality customer service, proactive and responsive to customer needs.
- Ability to work independently under limited supervision to determine and develop approach to solutions.
- Experience writing courses to be developed in Articulate Rise 360, Articulate Storyline 360, or other equivalent eLearning authoring tool(s).
- Understanding of technology and ability to learn new software quickly.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, and Excel.
- Compelling portfolio of recent writing and course samples must be submitted for consideration.
- Ability to perform a job simulation task as part of interview component.
- Prior experience working on projects for medical device or pharmaceutical manufacturers a plus.
- Strong instinct for visual layout and graphic design principles.
- Experience developing learning solutions deployed in Totara, Cornerstone OnDemand or similar Learning Management Systems (LMS).
- Familiarity with Workfront, Trello or similar project management system(s).
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile.
- The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers.
- Must be able to travel to various Medtronic buildings/sites
Contact your manager or local HR to understand the Work Conditions and Physical requirements that may be specific to each role. (ADA-United States of America)