As a freelance writer for BestColleges, you will craft original content covering a variety of higher education topics, including rankings and degree content, career guides, college and career planning resources, student/campus life blog posts, and bootcamps and non-degree educational pathways. You will also work with our editors and copy editors to ensure that all content is concise, grammatically correct, and easy to understand.
Our freelance writers are capable of writing for diverse audiences, with a keen understanding of how information and ideas are received by students from all backgrounds.
- Write content according to an in-house style guide (based on AP style)
- Adhere to in-house guidelines for branding, tone, and voice
- Adhere to sourcing and fact-checking guidelines
- Format content based on guidelines and best practices
- Read feedback from copy editors and incorporate suggestions into future work
- Meet requested deadlines and maintain open and prompt communication with editors and copy editors
- Professional experience as a freelance writer
- Experience writing copy for websites
- A commitment to the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- An astute sense of appropriate style, voice, tone, and content flow
- Experience working with a style guide (AP style preferred)
- Excellent research, writing, and editing skills
- Strong grasp of fact-checking and sourcing standards
- Excellent communication skills and a collaborative attitude
- Two (2) writing samples and/or a link to your writing portfolio*
- Your resume
- A cover letter
- Writing samples or portfolio links may be included with your resume OR cover letter.
Compensation is $90 for every 500 words.
At the moment, we are currently unable to accept applicants from the following states:
- New Jersey
- West Virginia