Medical Review Editor – YourTango
YourTango is a purpose-driven publisher focused on love, relationships, emotional wellness, and self-empowerment. We are committed to providing our readers with reliable, thoughtful, and accurate information they can trust for guidance.
We are looking for an ambitious, meticulous, and knowledgeable medical review editor to work closely with members of our Medical Review Board to ensure every piece of content we publish is carefully sourced, fact-checked, reviewed for accuracy and presented in an objective and balanced manner.
As a part of our creative, collaborative and enthusiastic editorial team, you will be responsible for assigning, editing, and updating articles related to relationships, emotional well-being and physical health. You will work directly with our medical review board, freelance writers, and our inhouse team of editors to increase traffic and visibility while providing our readers with the best information possible.
The person who fills this role must possess strong writing, editing, and fact-checking skills; be familiar with reading clinical research and translating critical details into easily digestible language for readers; be efficient, deadline-driven, and organized; have an understanding of strong advice content and reader behavior; have familiarity with AMA style citations; and have knowledge of SEO best practices. This person should also feel comfortable editing and writing across all categories (mental health, relationships, family, and entertainment).
- Assign and edit articles, ensuring they are accurate, up to date, comprehensive, expert-backed, and in abidance with SEO and editorial best practices.
- Add value to content by rewriting/restructuring articles as needed.
- Assign articles for medical review by experts on our Medical Review Board, as well as edit those same articles according to expert feedback.
- Apply YourTango’s editorial voice to explain complex medical information to readers in an easily digestible way.
- Recruit, onboard and manage a diverse team of freelance medical writers.
- Increase article Google ranking and traffic through keen keyword selection and SEO optimization.
- Conduct competitor analysis on an ongoing basis.
- Fact check and transition content to evergreen where possible.
- Use editorial instincts to make further updates and edits to increase content quality.
- Update article photos in accordance to YourTango image style.
- Track and monitor your department’s performance on a weekly, monthly, and annual basis.
- Partner with YourTango Experts department and other editorial departments on content initiatives.
- Participate in team meetings to contribute to shared content goals and strategy.
Our ideal candidate is someone with:
- A background in medical, mental health, wellness and/or academic writing and editing or related field and an understanding of specific nuances surrounding sourcing and credibility.
- Skilled at translating confusing medical and clinical language into reader-friendly, engaging content.
- 3-5 of experience developing online editorial content and working with content management systems.
- Strong copywriting skills, capable of writing engaging headlines with YourTango’s editorial voice in mind.
- Experience and comfort with SEO best practices and keyword research/assessment.
- Stellar interpersonal and communication skills.
- A natural sense of urgency; ability to juggle many initiatives at the same time.
- Willingness to experiment and be self-driven.
- College degree required.
Job Type: Full-time
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: Remote