Simpler Media Group Freelance Editor
Simpler Media Group (SMG), is seeking an experienced and enthusiastic freelance editor to play a key operational role for our flagship publications. We are the publisher of CMSWire, a leader in the customer experience space, and Reworked, a native digital publication covering the r/evolution of work and the transformation of the workplace.
You will work closely with the EiC’s of both Reworked and CMSWire to create compelling content that provides deep value to its audience. You will work with editorial leadership to solicit, edit and publish content from contributing, freelance and staff writers. The Freelance
Editor is an important position at SMG.
- Co-manage daily editorial workflows
- Daily content editing and publishing
- Provide input on editorial content best practices
- Ensure content is produced according to relevant style guides and SEO best practices
- Fast paced but great work/life balance
- Flexible, remote-first work culture that is results-driven
- A diverse team, flat management structure, agile business operations
- Strong digital literacy skills across the organization
- Lots of opportunities to develop new skills and grow
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Reporting to the Editorial Leadership of Reworked and CMSWire, the freelance editor will work to create, edit and publish highly engaging targeted content that upholds the highest journalism standards and best practices.
You must be highly skilled in working with staff and freelance writers to ideate on content across a variety of topical areas and across a variety of content mediums.
This individual will play an integral role as we ramp up our editorial efforts.
Candidates ideally will have experience working in media, journalism, marketing or executive communications.
Please Note: This is a small team, an entrepreneurial endeavor. Success will lead to significant near-term team and budget expansion. However, on day one you will be working with a small team with your sleeves rolled-up and hands in the weeds.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism or english; or 3-5 years journalism/communications content publishing environment
- Significant experience writing for a digital publication
- Strong SEO background
- Strong writing and proofreading skills
- Great attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to give constructive feedback
- Conceptual creative abilities
- Ability to effectively communicate and work remotely
- Great time management skills
- Experience with content management systems
- An understanding of how to use imagery, videos and embedded elements to add context to content.
- Knowledge of marketing, customer experience, digital workplace, technology, advertising and media industries
- Experience working for journalism-driven organization
- Familiarity with analytics (Parsely, Google Analytics, Chartbeat, etc.)
SMG is a mature but agile and rapidly growing B2B media, research and events company with a portfolio of niche professional communities.
We create and operate vertical B2B tech communities with online publications like www.cmswire.com and www.reworked.co, and the two focused conferences that serve to advance the careers of our members.
In addition to its editorial arms, SMG welcomes more than 10,000 live and virtual attendees to its thought leader events, which include the customer experience (CX) conference, Digital Experience Summit and the enterprise experience (DW) conference, Digital Workplace Experience. We also produce and run B2B content- and client- webinars and publish industry research papers.
Our staff are concentrated in San Francisco, Chicago, Boston and New York, but we are a flexible, remote-first organization and hire talented professionals globally.'
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Pay: $30.00 - $40.00 per hour
- Flexible schedule
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
All work is currently 100% remote.
Work Location: Remote