Building Talent. Builds Mission.
Chief Learning Consultant
WHO ARE WE?
Motivated by a deep belief in the power of effective teams and equitable organizations, Building For Mission
(BFM) is a start-up People and Organizational Development consulting company that partners with organizations and individuals around the globe to build effective talent strategies, systems, and practices that reflect a deep value for race, equity, diversity and inclusiveness (REDI). We are headquartered in
Washington, DC with a remote staff team based across the US. We specialize in strategic planning, organizational development and effectiveness, human resources, training, facilitation and coaching across mission-driven organizations in multiple sectors. To learn more about BFM, please visit: www.buildingformission.com
WHAT IS THE ROLE?
Building For Mission currently has a consultancy team and a training and facilitation (T&F) team. We are seeking an exceptional human being to lead the T&F team. The Chief Learning Consultant will be responsible for managing the team that supports all of the training and facilitation engagements at BFM.
We deeply believe that leading multicultural and highly effective organizations requires all of us to build new mindsets, knowledge, and skill. At BFM, training and learning are central to our theory of change. The
Chief Training Consultant will play an essential role in the transformative journey of our clients. Our T&F team seeks to support this through rigorous and collaborative learning and development design and facilitation that reflects data-based best practices in adult learning. The Chief Learning Consultant will report to the CEO, collaborate closely with the Chief Talent Consultant and manage a team of 1-2 trainers as well as a cadre of network designers and trainers.
WHO SHOULD APPLY?
❏ Do you deeply believe in and model the core values of BFM and believe that you can carry them forward as a culture leader in addition to being a content leader?
❏ Do you believe that people are the world’s greatest asset and that everyone can learn and grow?
❏ Do you believe that organizations can reach their potential if they understand our country’s history and current manifestations of racism and oppression and actively work to undo them?
❏ Do you believe that organizations are most effective when they identify, invest in and resource exceptional talent?
❏ Do you possess rich experience in and the ability to achieve learning outcomes through training content design and facilitation?
❏ Are you a great manager? (Come on now, for real?!?!?)
❏ Are you an organized person who is able to thrive in ambiguity and create clarity?
❏ Are you a kind person of high integrity who works well with others and genuinely enjoys learning and growing?
❏ Do you want to do good work with good people and have fun?
If you check these boxes, read on for more information...
The Chief Learning Consultant will be able to make impact in 4 key areas. These may shift over time.
- Lead the design of training content including but not limited to race, equity, diversity and inclusiveness, organizational development, change management, talent management, etc.
- Research best practices to design and deliver in-person and virtual learning
- Evaluate and oversee the implementation of T&F infrastructure, such as a learning management system, standardizing and packaging content, determining delivery methods for content
- Oversee the design and research and data collection via surveys, interviews, or focus groups to inform design and facilitation strategy
- Contribute to continuous learning efforts through evaluation, reflection, and analysis leading refinement and codification of our methods and materials
Training and Facilitation (30-35%)
- Oversee and manage the delivery of T&F services for multiple clients, often ina project lead role working with other BFM team members
- Design and facilitate interactive trainings leveraging Adult Learning Theory for learning sessions for small and large high-visibility engagements
- Implement standards of excellence for design and facilitation to ensure high-quality design and delivery of content
- Provide coaching and counsel to senior leader clients as needed
- Build trusting relationships with clients at all levels, provide thought partnership, meet agreed-upon milestones and keep them informed of progress
Business Development (5-10%)
- Oversee client relationships & quality experience
- Develop business proposals
- Leverage your network, as appropriate, along with identifying, building, and cultivating new partnerships
- Identify creative opportunities to advance our services
Organizational Stewardship and Management (15-30%)
- Coach and develop a high-performing team and independent contractors
- Strengthen culture by modeling collaboration, delegation, operating with
- integrity, demonstrating a strong work-ethic, openness to learning and
- growth, flexibility and kindness
- Work effectively and creatively in a largely virtual environment; building trusting relationships with colleagues and direct reports
- Make recommendations for improving organizational strategy, structure, human capital and management practices internally and externally as a member of the leadership team
ADDITIONAL SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
We are seeking candidates with the following capabilities:
- Design, Training and Facilitation know-how: You have deep experience in designing and facilitating highly-effective adult learning experiences across various group sizes, contexts and demographics on a broad set of talent, HR, REDI and OD content.
- Unwavering commitment to learning: You actively research best practices and input and integrate these insights to develop the most effective designs and facilitation.
- Infrastructure enthusiasm and ability: You appreciate the need for infrastructure such as learning management systems, institutional knowledge management, systems and processes in a start-up on a new team composed mostly of independent contractors.
- An Intersectional and REDI analysis: You are skilled in understanding and surfacing for others how race and identity influence practices, policies, and organizational outcomes and how to implement antiracist practices. You have a growing analysis of the ways power and oppression show up in a global context. You bring this awareness to bear in your designs and facilitation.
- HR, Talent, and OD familiarity: You have knowledge and experience in talent management, leadership development, and organizational development and/or related areas.
- Partnership/Business development skill: You are able to identify and build connections with new partners, assess partner needs and interests, and propose mutually beneficial solutions.
- Strategic thinking and communication: You see context and hold a strategic perspective that you can communicate clearly verbally and in print and in multiple outlets.
- People management: You have experience effectively managing and leading diverse groups.
- Project management: You have the ability to assign, delegate, execute and monitor projects through lateral and direct authority as well as manage budgets effectively.
- Written communication and presentation skills: You are a strong writer, speaker and facilitator, skilled in organizing thoughts and ideas in ways that are clear and client-centered. You also are excellent in designing visually appealing presentations and reports.
- Relationship cultivation: You listen for what matters, quickly develop rapport, earn the respect and trust of others, and can guide clients to collaborate and act on decisions and recommendations.
- Engaging Conflict: You step into conflicts, viewing tensions across differences as opportunities to get to enduring and authentic solutions, and you can facilitate effectively in conflictual situations.
- Growth Mindset: You believe in the human capacity for learning and growth in a way that drives personal learning and client engagement.
PROFESSIONAL & EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE:
We believe it is helpful to share our general idea of the profile of a person who might be competitive for this role, which you can see below. However, we invest in potential and believe that competitive Chief Learning
Consultant candidates could possess a variety of diverse professional backgrounds. So, if you believe you are a great match for this role, whether or not these elements are true for you, we encourage you to apply!
- 10+ years of adult learning design and facilitation experience
- 8+ years of Talent Strategy, HR, REDI and/or organizational development experience
- 5+ years of experience leading, managing, and developing people and teams
- Some coaching experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree and/or comparable skills, certifications or experiences
- Apply directly on the Building For Mission website.
- Include an updated resume and/or LinkedIn profile.
This position can be located anywhere in the United States but candidates must be willing to travel for in-person client and team engagement. (In-person engagements have been temporarily suspended due to COVID-19)
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, language, ethnicity, age, religion, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law. We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $130,000.00 - $150,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Fully Remote
Work Location: Remote