Sketchy is a visual learning platform for students & professionals to effortlessly learn and recall information through art, storytelling and spaced repetition. The company was born when four medical students began creating sketched stories to distinguish and memorize similarly named viruses, and they realized that the same learning methodologies could be used across a variety of subjects.
Since its inception in 2013, Sketchy has become the premiere learning destination for medical students around the world. It’s used by 1 in 2 medical students in the United States, has an alumni base of over 300,000 students and helps students answer questions 77% faster than conventional teaching.
Sketchy is a TCG (The Chernin Group) portfolio company (joining other companies such as Headspace, Food52, Barstool Sports and Crunchyroll) and a Reach Capital portfolio company (joining other start-up companies that bring a playfulness to learning).
About the Role:
We are looking for a Director of Undergraduate & Pre-Medical Education to join a team building the next generation of digital learning. To be successful in this role, you will be a strong manager and leader that is able to oversee a large team of both freelance and full-time employees in the development of expansive learning programs for undergraduate students. (Programs in your department will include MCAT prep, pre-medical course support, and products for other undergraduate students.) You will be a financially savvy and accountable executive able to develop increasingly engaging content to the highest standard while delivering in line with the financial goals of the company.
Working at Sketchy
We are headquartered in Los Angeles but have teammates that collaborate remotely from cities across the United States. As travel and working conditions return back to “normal”, we will find opportunities to increasingly meet and collaborate in person. While you will always have a seat to work from our Los Angeles HQ, our transition to a remote-first company will allow you to work from the location of your choice in select states across the country
Location: This role is open to remote employees in select US states: Texas, California, New York, Hawaii, Illinois, Colorado, Massachusetts, Washington, and Washington, D.C
- Lead in the overall vision, strategy, and execution of undergraduate and pre-medical content development
- Determine the scope and objectives of the curriculum for undergraduate content in line with the Sketchy learning methodology
- Define and manage success metrics and KPIs as they relate to content creation, delivery and consumption
- Work (in collaboration with managing editors and other departments) to ensure content is created in scope, is exceptional in quality, and is released on time and within budget
- Be actively involved in providing direction throughout the creative and the final sign-off process with ultimate responsibility for the success of undergraduate and pre-medical programs
- Recruit and onboard world-class Content Managers, Faculty Authors, and other content writers in the ongoing development of undergraduate and pre-medical Sketchy curriculum
- Keep a growing backlist of undergraduate content managed and up to date with current science, learning design innovations, and student feedback
- Serve as Editor-in-Chief for your programs, with responsibility for the development and quality of every lesson and learning asset produced within the team, including both direct and indirect team members
- Establish a process for the team’s review of user feedback through submitted comments/ratings, surveys, and focus groups and develop ongoing content updates with value-adding incremental improvements
- Be student-centric and develop ways to tighten the connection with users to better understand their needs and how we will meet them
- Manage the development budget and team of both in-house and freelance resources in order to deliver content and own a release calendar
- Continue to develop a rolling content calendar for the release of new subjects, new lessons, and revised content that drive clear value for Sketchy students
- Work with business intelligence and data analytics to identify the most value-add opportunities for the addition of incremental content to the program
- 5+ years of experience in science education and/or curriculum design and development
- 3+ years of experience managing teams (ideally including distributed teams)
- Consumer-focused with experience researching and understanding the needs of consumers in the development of products or content
- Communication skills are unrivaled, and you know how to make people listen and understand with experience mentoring, coaching, inspiring, and developing people
- Embody the Agile philosophy, always iterating and improving on the process and not just adhering to the ceremony with direct experience working in an agile environment preferred but not required
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, problem solving, negotiating, influencing, facilitation, organizational, prioritization, decision-making, and conflict resolution skills
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Passionate about learning and making a positive impact on the world
Education: Degree or equivalent experience in science, education, or learning design. Advanced degree preferred
What We Offer:
- Competitive compensation plan
- Innovative, high growth, and collaborative culture
- Generous PTO package with floating holiday
- Fun team events (Monthly and virtual for now)
- Great Benefits including 99 % Coverage of Medical, dental, vision. Up to 4% match on 401k and more
Sketchy Group LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will receive consideration without discrimination on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, disability or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.