Colorado Connections Academy (ColoCA) schools are tuition-free, online public schools serving students throughout the state. Colorado Connections Academy @ Mapleton as well as ColoCA @ Durango, serves students in grades K-12 statewide, is operated by the Mapleton Public Schools and Durango Public Schools through a contract with Connections Education, LLC, to provide its educational program and other services. Connections Academy, a division of Connections Education, is accredited by AdvancED, as is Colorado Connections Academy @ Mapleton and Colorado Connections Academy @ Durango.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
This position is working with Colorado Connections Academy into their office in Englewood or Durango, or from your home office within the state. Certified Teachers will “virtually” manage instructional programs. Through use of the telephone, Internet and various curriculum tools they will consult regularly with learning coaches and students to ensure that each child successfully completes his/her instructional program.
The Middle School English/Language Arts Teacher will be responsible for the successful completion of the following tasks:
- Complete all grading, create progress reports and conduct parent conferences in a timely manner;
- Support the instructional program with asynchronous web conferencing sessions and synchronous instruction;
- Review curriculum and devise alternate approaches to presenting lessons to increase student understanding (working directly with students and parents);
- Communicate with parents, students and other teachers on a regular basis to develop and update Personal Learning Plans and schedules, score assessments, provide feedback on student work, suggest instructional approaches and strategies, monitor completion of assignments and coach special projects;
- Work collaboratively with other teachers to ensure that all students are successfully progressing through the program, that parents have a central point of contact, and that tasks are distributed among the teachers;
- Develop a general knowledge of the entire program’s K-12 curriculum and a very detailed knowledge of the courses for which responsible;
- Support students and parents with alternate strategies and provide additional assistance with daily assignments and projects;
- Communicate regularly with parents, students, and curriculum specialists through use of computer and telephone;
- Keep student records and data up-to-date, including cumulative files, online student and family information, attendance accounting, and logging all student and parent contacts;
- Consult with other teachers and staff learning specialists to develop alternate enrichment activities and modifications to students’ programs to increase student understanding;
- Work with other teachers to coordinate social activities and relevant field trips for students;
- Manage regional field trips and make efforts to integrate trips into the curriculum;
- Devise and implement virtual methods of creating and maintaining a “school community”;
- Participate in the organization and administration of the State Testing, as directed;
- Participate in student recruiting sessions and other marketing efforts that require teacher representation;
- Work with Advisory Teachers and School counselor to ensure students and families are receiving appropriate communications, students are making adequate progress and established goals are being met;
- Attend field trips and other community activities implemented for families;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Highly qualified and certified to teach Secondary English/Language Arts in Colorado
- Strong technology skills (especially with Microsoft OS and MS Office programs)
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Customer focused approach
- High degree of flexibility
- Demonstrated ability to work well in fast paced environment
- Team player track record
- Willingness to travel on occasion for marketing and state testing events (may require occasional overnight travel)
- Ability to work remotely, if necessary
- Ability to work some occasional evening hours, as needed to support some families
Note: The anticipated starting salary for Colorado-based individuals expressing interest in this position begins at $33,800 per year. Benefits available to eligible employees can be seen at https://www.connectionsacademy.com/careers/benefits.
Colorado Connections Academy strives to create an inclusive environment that welcomes and values the diversity of the people we serve. We foster fairness, equity, and inclusion to create a workplace environment where everyone is treated with respect and dignity.