School Wellness Specialist
DEPARTMENT: TDA Instructional Team
PAY BAND: 6
TRAVEL REQUIRED: Some in state travel
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Coordinator of SAFE Services
POSITION TYPE: Full Time / Exempt
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES:
TRECA Digital Academy (TDA) is a free, public alternative to traditional schooling that utilizes 21st-century technology. TDA provides students with computer technology, allowing them to progress at their own pace. The goal of this position is to help TDA and its Student Assistance & Family Engagement department (SAFE) reduce barriers to learning in an effort to increase participation, progress, retention, and academic achievement. The School Wellness Specialist will work directly with students and families to provide coordination of social-emotional and educational services to TRECA Digital Academy students. The School Wellness Specialist will provide a continuum of care from prevention and assessment to treatment for school-aged youth and their families. Services are provided via the use of technology at a distance. The School Wellness Specialist will maintain a caseload of clients and may provide assessment as well as individual and/or group clinical services.
The School Wellness Specialist must be compassionate with children, maintain organized resources and support options, and handle stress effectively so as to support students effectively and positively. The School Wellness Specialist must have strong interpersonal skills to allow them to support students who are in high-stress environments.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Work with teachers and TRECA staff to identify high-risk students.
- Facilitating or providing referrals for therapeutic group counseling, social skills groups, mental health groups, and substance abuse groups using a trauma-informed and compassionate approach while also meeting identified needs of individual youth, such as anger management and/or family or individual dysfunction.
- Take appropriate initiative to manage crisis situations, including direct student intervention; appropriately provides or obtains assistance, as needed; and remains with crisis situations either through resolution or until relief is in place.
- Complete and submit accurate documentation, on a timely basis, including incident reports and progress notes.
- Engage students and parents on creation and implementation of student wellness plans.
- Monitor, communicate, and track students/families identified and referred to the Student Wellness Specialist to ensure wellness needs are being met.
- Assist in reducing non-instructional barriers that result in increasing student/parent engagement/involvement with TDA staff, teachers, and programs.
- Engage parents/families in identifying and assessing student/family needs that may be serving as barriers to learning and teaching.
- Provide information and referrals to outside agencies and community groups when necessary.
- Send prevention and community education and resource information alerts to teachers, students, and parents.
- Utilize online resources, telephone, email, text, and webchat systems for communicating with students and parents.
- Network and build relationships with TRECA teachers, staff, and community groups on behalf of students and families.
- Plan and coordinate services and/or activities delivered to or on behalf of a student/family.
- Serve on Student Assistance Teams on behalf of or in conjunction with TDA staff, teachers, students, and families.
- Serve as liaison between TRECA staff, teacher, student, family, and/or local community agencies and service providers when needed and/or deemed appropriate or necessary.
- Attend meetings and/or training sessions on behalf of TRECA-SAFE Program and the students and families identified and/or referred for services.
- Maintain tracking logs, written reports, and/or anecdotal notes on students and families utilizing TRECA equipment, forms, and/or tools.
- Computer proficiency and excellent communication and listening skills are necessary for success in this position.
- Keep confidential records and sensitive materials dealing with student information.
- Participate in state and federal testing & onsite administration.
- Attend online and face-to-face meetings and events as required, including graduation.
- Interface daily with all required organizational communication systems
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or a related field
- Master’s Degree in a related field preferred
- Experience working with high-risk student populations
- Preferred training in the area of individual psycho-social or family-related support
- An understanding of the TRECA environment
- Technological proficiency, including general use of student information systems and databases
- Home high-speed Internet access
- Willingness to maintain a valid driver’s license and State of Ohio Substitute Teacher License
- Willingness to undergo background checks including BCI and FBI reports
- Willingness to complete home visits, as well as a willingness to involve any and all necessary community resources, including court intervention
- Ability to show compassion and collaborate with multiple teams
- *Ability to work successfully with truant and at-risk children and families
- *Ability to work well in stressful situations
- *Knowledge and training in options for intervention, mediation, and counseling
- *Ability to screen, identify, assess, and create plans to reduce barriers to learning
- High degree of flexibility, organization, and self-motivation
- Ability to work successfully from a remote environment
- Ability to be discreet and recognize the importance of maintaining confidentiality when handling or conveying information obtained in work setting
LAST UPDATED: June 29, 2022
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $41,000.00 - $43,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- We require travel within the state of Ohio for staff meetings, state testing and professional development. Do you reside in Ohio?
- Are you willing to obtain a BCI and FBI background check?
- Bachelor's (Required)
Work Location: Remote