This is a part-time, non-benefitted position. Only UND students are eligible to be hired into this position.
Group Exercise Instructors lead members, in a group environment, through a pre-arranged format of exercises designed to enhance overall fitness, strength, and endurance while ensuring the safety of the members is not compromised. Instructors will also serve as a resource to educate members on various aspects of fitness.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Effectively lead participants through established group exercise formats.
- Perform a well-organized class, safety, ROM, and educate participants in proper form.
- Adjust class to accomdate a varety of fitness levels.
- Engage and connect with participants, approachable, and cater to needs of members.
- Assist in the development of new classes and methods of instructing.
- Disseminate information of all Wellness & Health Promotion services and programs.
- Utilize appropriate technology to track group exercise participants.
- Complete all cleaning and sanitation tasks as assigned to maintain a safe & healthy environment.
- Must wear appropriate PPE as directed for specific tasks/duties.
- Attend all meetings/trainings as required.
- As a result of working in this position, the staff member will gain the following skills:
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Interpersonal Development
- Intrapersonal Development
Requirements & Competencies
- General working knowledge of all group exercise equipment and ability to explain proper use to participants.
- Has effective coaching skills and knowledge in exercise physiology
- Ability to effectively communicate with participants and provide motivation for continued participation in physical activity and healthy living.
- Certification in CPR/First Aid/AED, or ablity to obtain within two weeks of hire.
- Training is provided by the Wellness Center at no cost for employees.
- Successful completion of criminal history records check
- Hold or be pursuing a major or minor in Exercise Science, Recreation, Nutrition, or a health-related field OR have experience in Group Exercise and/or at least one certification, but purusing a different primary career.
- Ability to demonstrate a competent level of instructing skills or have prior instructing experience.
- Wellness Center
- Remote/Hybrid flexibility
Hours & Schedule
- Starting compensation (Non-Certified): $11.50 / hour; Part-Time; Non-Exempt; Non-Benefitted
- Starting compensation (Certified): Up to $14.00 / hour; Part-Time; Non-Exempt; Non-Benefitted
- Hours per week: 5
- This position will be early morning to early evenings, with some weekend hours required.
The University of North Dakota determines employment eligibility through the E-Verify system: What is E-Verify? New employees to the University of North Dakota must present specific identification to determine their employment eligibility no later than their first day of work. To view the identification required, please see the List of Acceptable Documents. You will be required to have one item from List A OR one item from List B and List C.
For full consideration, applications must be received by the closing date and include the following materials:
- Cover Letter (Word or PDF format only)
- Must include a statement of which type for of group exercise class you wish to teach
- Resume (Word or PDF format only)
Please include in the application if you are currently or have in the past 12 months been employed with the University of North Dakota, the North Dakota University System or any other North Dakota State agency. If so, include which agency/department, as well as how many hours you work a week.