Location: Flexible remote work for candidates within Florida or currently enrolled in an undergrad program located in Florida.
Status: Full time, 40 hours per week
Duration: 8 weeks, Ideally from Mid-June to Mid-August with some flexibility
Job Grade: Intern
The Climate Initiative (TCI) is a scientifically-based education organization aimed to help solve the climate crisis. The uniqueness of TCI’s approach is its focus on educating and empowering youth. We believe that the generation most at risk (the youth) will shift politics, stimulate solutions, and ultimately be agents of change. We also believe that it is important to educate about climate change in a nonpartisan way. Our vision is to create a cohesive voice at the grassroots level to push for climate-friendly policy and action in this time of crisis. As the IPCC notes, ‘Impacts of climate change are like to be felt most acutely not only by the poor, but also by certain segments of the population, such as the elderly, the very young, the powerless, indigenous peoples, and recent immigrants, particularly if they are linguistically isolated’. TCI values diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging and we greatly value our workforce reflecting the communities we are activating.
The Climate Initiative is seeking a Florida Policy Intern who is passionate about climate action with experience in conducting policy research and synthesizing information. This role is focused on researching and writing the Florida Policy toolkit which outlines relevant climate policy in the state of Florida as well as ways for youth to engage in policy within their own community The Florida Policy Intern will work with the TCI programs and policy teams, TCI Executive Team and report directly to TCI’s Director of Policy and Impact.
The ideal candidate for this position is highly collaborative, has strong experience, gathering, tracking and synthesizing research. S/he/they is/are also comfortable being in a new organization. S/he/they is/are also an effective communicator both in written and verbal forms.
- Research and draft the TCI Florida Policy Toolkit a resource guide for youth of climate policies and issues in Florida.
- Identify key stakeholders to partner with for the production of the Florida Policy Toolkit as well as the dissemination, to maximize the toolkit’s reach and impact, working with the appropriate Regional Coordinator and other programs staff and interns, as necessary.
- Compile research on scientific data, elected leaders, and news articles in Florida to be included in toolkits that help youth advocate for climate policies
- When appropriate, supplement the Policy Manager’s efforts to create policy briefs on climate legislation, potentially including federal, state, territorial, local and international policies
- Complete a Policy Proposal, where the intern will research and draft a piece of legislation for their community as well as create a presentation on the policy
Success metrics for this role:
- Successful completion of TCI's Florida Policy Toolkit.
- Creation of a landscape analysis of stakeholders for feedback and dissemination of toolkits, with at least two (2) stakeholder partnerships established.
- Completion of a Policy Proposal and draft legislation.
- Deeper understanding of climate issues and opportunities facing the state of Florida.
Education and Experience
- Currently enrolled college student
Desired qualifications and skills:
- Ability to condense large amounts of data and research into key takeaways
- Passion for solving the climate crisis
- Effective, clear and concise communicator
- Strong writing skills
- Highly collaborative, flexible, team player, working across departments
- Desire to be part of an entrepreneurial team. Flexible attitude!
- Self-driven and motivated
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer or must be able to lift up to 50 lbs as needed.
Job Types: Full-time, Internship
Pay: $20.00 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- Associate (Preferred)
Work Location: Remote