Experienced candidates (10+ years) only please.
Summary: The Senior Research Scientist coordinates a friendly team of social scientists to design and analyze public health and education research. Help us make a positive impact in the world at our growing statistical research firm in downtown Austin.
NOTE: *All* candidates must submit a cover letter with resume to be considered; see Application Requirements below.
Far Harbor designs and evaluates diverse research initiatives that aim to improve public health and education in the US and the developing world. We seek an experienced applied social science researcher with extensive knowledge of research methods along with excellent project management and consulting skills.
The Senior Research Scientist [Public Health & Education] coordinates directly with the Principal and manages team members on long-term sponsored research projects. This person mentors scientific staff, consults with clients, produces client deliverables and presentations, oversees project plans and quality checking, contributes to analytic work, edits research products, and participates in authoring of peer-reviewed journal publications.
- PhD (preferred) in sociology, economics, psychology, public health, or related social science (or Masters with strong experience)
- At least 10+ years of professional experience as an applied researcher (or in a position with significant technical consulting management duties)
- Proven track record managing teams and projects
- Broad experience in scientific consulting to clients and partners
- History of excellent written materials and expertise with the scientific publication process
- Experience estimating, developing and managing project plans for research teams
- Superior project and team management skills
- Consulting, communication, and presentation skills
- Critical thinking and logical organization of ideas
- Strong ability to present to non-technical audiences
- Familiarity with various scientific research designs for causal inference
- Knowledge of various data analytic and statistical concepts
- Understanding of the importance of sampling methods
- Expertise in methods of program evaluations and observational studies
- Deep knowledge of threats to research designs such as non-random samples, non-equivalent groups, and selection bias
- Other desirable skills: survey measurement and survey development
$112k-152k/year (based on experience) with profit sharing and bonuses based on company performance. Vacation, holidays, flex work benefits and company-paid access to the on-site gym.
About the Company
Far Harbor, LLC (http://farharbor.com) is a statistical consultancy established in 2000 and based in Austin, TX. The firm offers expert research and analysis consulting to a number of federal, state, and international clients. We serve public agencies and philanthropic organizations by assisting in the design and analysis of field research and population studies.
This is a local position in our downtown Austin TX office; flex-hours and telework (Mon & Fri) are available with proficiency on projects. Our modern offices include a fitness center with showers for walking/running/biking to work. Occasional travel might be required (2-3 trips per year for client meetings). We follow CDC and city guidelines and implement policies for telework during pandemic spikes. We enjoy a collegial work environment and are motivated to provide excellent scientific work for our clients.
Please respond to this posting with the following items:
- a well-written cover letter referencing this position and your primary qualifications and goals, -and-
- a detailed CV or resume containing education, experience, and any specialized or technical skills relevant to the position.
Candidates who do not provide the above items or fail to meet the minimum skills/experience requirements will not be contacted. Qualified applicants will receive confirmation of receipt by email, and top candidates will be notified personally.
EEO Statement: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
Please no recruiters or contract agencies. Thank you for your interest.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $112,000.00 - $152,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Relocation assistance
- Monday to Friday
- Bonus pay
We work in public health and strictly follow CDC guidelines.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Remote: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
- Master's (Required)
- Research and Consulting: 7 years (Preferred)
Work Location: Remote