Location: 1000 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, 55403-2542
JOIN TARGET AS A PRINCIPAL OPERATION RESEARCH – NETWORK PLANNING
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailer. The Target Global Supply Chain and Logistics (GSCL) group is a global team, evolving at a fast pace. We’re constantly reimagining how we get the right product to the right guest faster and more efficiently. Network Planning and Global Intelligence (NPGI) team is at the forefront of defining future road map for GSCL. NPGI team includes intelligence product teams and aligns them with network planning experts to build industry-leading inventory management and Last Mile capabilities. The NPGI team is made up of Network Planning & Decision sciences, Future Transportation, Inventory Health, Sales, Operations Planning and Order Management System.
About this opportunity:
Do you want to shape the future Supply Chain and Logistics strategy for a fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading Retailer? Do you want to optimize Target’s Global Supply Chain end to end, from Sourcing to delivery of packages to guest on the largest scale? Are you excited at the prospect of analyzing huge data sets and developing complex algorithms, simulation and optimization models to solve real world problems?
If yes, then a role in Operations Research team means contributing to the team that is at the forefront of defining future Omni-Channel operating model for Target’s Global Supply Chain across First, Middle and Last Mile. You’ll develop cutting edge data pipelines, optimization and simulation models to design and operate Target’s Global Supply Chain in fast and efficient manner and work with stake holders across the company in Finance, Merchandising, Stores and GSCL teams to enable supply chain transformation.
As a Principal Operations Research Scientist you will:
- Know your business - understand operational metrics and cost of end to end operations of Supply Chain.
- Analyze large amounts of supply chain data at the most granular level & develop key metrics to evaluate the performance of supply Chain across Sales, transportation, operations and inventory.
- Develop succinct problem statements that align with leadership on core challenges.
- Develop end and end scalable and sustainable solution architecture with multiple modules to solve the problem leveraging complex algorithms, Machine learning techniques, Simulation and optimization modeling techniques
- Deploy planning models and solutions for broader GSCL teams to use.
- Interpret results from the models and provide insights to the leadership team.
- Define future capability needs for product and technology teams to execute new strategy.
- Engage and collaborate with stake holders across GSCL, Finance, Stores, Merch driving timely outcomes
- Leverage subject matter expertise in optimization, simulation and machine learning skills to guide the team to develop the right models for the right problems.
- Mentor peers and junior team members on analytical techniques & story telling
- Develop a clear and concise story utilizing data to influence decision making with senior leadership teams.
Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- PhD/MS in quantitative field such as Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Computer Science or relevant work experience
- 7+ years of experience solving Supply Chain/Operations Research challenges using advanced Optimization, Simulation and Machine Learning techniques
- Constant learner with a strong passion for empirical research and for answering hard questions with data
- Proficient programming using either Python or R
- Familiarity with Hadoop eco-system
- Extensive experience with SQL
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Why work with us at Target?
- You will work directly on the quantitative problems and develop models that have the most impact on Target's entire supply chain.
- We value diversity. We believe that diversity and inclusion is of core importance when try to create positive in-store experiences for our guests, and we think it is also critically important when building our teams. Read more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion
- We value our team members for who they are, not just what they can get done. We treat out team members like people, not like cogs in a machine. We are parents, hobbyists, enthusiasts, family members, and community members, and can offer flexibility to our team members' schedules and work arrangements.
This position has been approved for a Full-Time Remote Work Arrangement. Once you start at Target, you will be receiving a Full-Time Remote Work Agreement, which will set forth the terms and conditions of your Full-Time Remote Work Arrangement at Target. This Agreement will need to be signed by you upon the start of your employment. Target may, at any time and utilizing its sole and absolute discretion, discontinue, modify, change or alter your Full-Time Remote Work Arrangement upon notice to you. Notwithstanding the foregoing, nothing herein modifies or amends the “at will” nature of your employment with Target.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.