As a Senior Instructional Designer at Heap, your job is to create and manage exceptional learning content that enables our customers to understand and unlock the full capabilities of Heap. You'll work with the Customer Education Team to design and develop educational content for our wide range of learners including product managers, marketers, and engineers. You'll also work with cross-functional partners who serve as SMEs for various topics.
You're perfect for this role if you love experimenting with learning strategies, enjoy rolling up your sleeves to get stuff done, and have a passion for digging into learning and behavioral analytics to understand how well your solutions are performing.
We recognize that instructional designers come from a variety of backgrounds. Whether you have a formal background in adult-learning theory or instructional design, or are an experienced designer who has developed their toolkit and skillset along the way, you are welcome to apply!
Here are a few of the things you'll do:
- Design and develop engaging, creative, and impactful learning experiences for our Heap customers
- Maintain and update existing content to make sure it remains relevant and up-to-date
- Utilize data to evaluate and improve learning experiences for our customers
- Mentor our customer education specialists to uplevel their knowledge and skillset in course development and design
- Manage course development projects end-to-end
What we're looking for:
- 5+ years of experience as an instructional designer or learning experience designer
- Creativity! We like to experiment here at Heap and we welcome new, innovative ideas that challenge the "traditional" way of doing things.
- Bias towards action. The startup world moves quickly, can you adjust your processes to meet the fast-paced demands and shifting needs of the business? Sometimes it is not clear how we are going to achieve something. Can you help carve a path? How fast can you do it? What are the tradeoffs?
- Strategic Thinking. This role will require you to think about strategic learning plans as well as micro-learning goals. Can you balance both to design materials that will be independently useful but also support the larger goals of the program?
- Project Management. We have a small team, can you utilize your strengths and the strengths of those around you to complete a project with little direction from others?
- Resourcefulness. You know how to get things done. You like to take risks and be willing to try new things, fail fast and iterate.
- Data-Driven Mindset. Success isn't about course completions and quiz scores for us. In order for a learning experience to be successful, it has to drive sustainable behavior changes from the audience. Do you utilize data and analytics to understand where we might need to make improvements to our strategy and/or content?
- Passion for teaching! Yes, this should be a given in a role created to deliver educational resources but we want to see that passion come through. Additionally, given that this is a senior role, we expect that this person will enjoy sharing their knowledge with others to mentor and grow them in their careers.
You don't have to have any of these to apply. They are additional qualifications that we like to hear about if you do happen to have them!
- Experience using data/analytics tools, especially if you've taught users about them!
- Multi-media development skills in video production, and/or animation; ability to edit graphics, audio assets, and video clips to maximize impact.
- Experience developing learning experiences for technical and/or complex products.
People are what make Heap awesome. Regardless of age, education, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, or any personal characteristics, we want everyone to feel welcome. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive equal opportunity workplace everyone can call home.
Heap has raised $95M in funding from NEA, Y Combinator, Menlo Ventures, SVAngel, Sam Altman, Garry Tan, Alexis Ohanian, Harj Taggar, Ram Shriram, and others. We offer plenty of awesome benefits, and we were named #1 on Glassdoor's Best Places to Work (SMB). We'd love to hear from you!